Did you know 94% of recruiters use LinkedIn to find candidates? LinkedIn is easily the largest professional network on the planet and is a great platform to make connections with hundreds of professionals in your industry.
The beauty of a LinkedIn profile is it can do things your resume cannot. Your LinkedIn allows you to showcase your full professional past, your future career goals, AND your personality and work philosophy. Here are some easy tips that will make your profile top notch:
- Create a Personalized Headline: Your headline is the first bit of text that shows up right below your name and can be thought of as a small billboard. It doesn’t have to be your job title and company, especially if you’re looking for a job. Try to use that space to showcase your specialty or value proposition!
- Craft a Unique Summary: This is your place to expand on your headline and to use keywords that are strongly connected to your field.
- Use Visual Media: Utilize your LinkedIn cover photo to showcase your interests and personality. You can also add links, videos, and infographics within your experience to expand, give context, and make your profile jump off the page!
- Customize your URL: Why not make your LinkedIn URL more relevant and cleaner? Along the right side of the profile, click “Edit public profile & URL” and go to “Edit Your Custom URL” in top right-hand corner.
- Choose a Great Photo:Pick a clear, friendly, and professional photo! If you’re unsure, look at what the people in your target company or industry sector are posting.
- Use Your Target Job Descriptions to Your Advantage:Look at the job descriptions of the positions you’re after and pick out key words. Make sure to sprinkle those words and phrases throughout your summary and experience.
- Stay active! LinkedIn is a networking social media site, which means to get the most out of it, you need to remain active. Check out what people are posting and keep expanding your connections. Join groups associated with your professional interests. LinkedIn Groups are an incredible resource and they can do wonders for your job search.
Whether or not you’re looking for a new job right now, it is still important to have a LinkedIn profile that stands out. A few small changes can completely transform your profile and utilizing these tips can ultimately take your LinkedIn from good to great.
CD Wicks, Recruiter, About CD
The RETS Team brings a deep, strategic understanding of the real estate industry to your recruitment needs. Click here for more insights & tips.